Welcome to the Evolvepreneur (After Hours) Show
I am your Special Host Christine Campbell Rapin
Join me today where we dig deep with our guests and get you the best concepts and strategies to fast-track your business.
My very special guest today is Goose McGrath ...
Goose McGrath discusses how he grew his business from nothing to one of Australia's fastest growing tech startups. In the early growth phase, they faced many challenges including running out of money and nearly going broke. This taught him the importance of understanding the financials and having sustainable profits. While fast growth is exciting, he realized he needed to shift to building a business that could last for the long run through developing efficient systems. The podcast offers advice on recognizing when a shift is needed from a "CrossFit" growth approach to a more sustainable "ultra marathon" model to find lasting success and enjoyment in business.
- Goose started his entrepreneurial journey by organizing music festivals after breaking his back at age 14 and not being able to play sports.
- In his 20s, Goose pursued his passions without a clear plan and felt largely unemployable. He had no real idea what he was doing.
- By his late 30s, Goose was broke, alcoholic, and living on his office floor. This was a turning point that led him to restart his business journey.
- Goose and his partner Gabby started their current successful business Dash Dot without knowing how to do sales, marketing, or run a business effectively.
- A mentor told Goose that while the business was making money, he had no real business acumen or understanding of finances. This prompted Goose to learn.
- Goose stresses the importance of understanding accounting and the "language of business" through budgets to truly understand a company's financial position.
- Dash Dot grew very quickly but without proper financial management, leaving them vulnerable when growth slowed down unexpectedly.
- Goose had to lay off 20% of staff during a difficult period of adjusting to new market realities.
- Goose emphasizes building a sustainable business that is "worth living" for the long term, rather than burning out chasing unsustainable high growth.
- Goose recommends shifting from a "CrossFit athlete" business model to an "ultra marathon runner" one focused on long-term sustainable success.
About The Show
Evolvepreneur (After Hours) Show features guest stories about entrepreneurs and their journeys from startup, growth to success.
If you're looking to succeed with quick start concepts for online entrepreneurs, this brand new show reveals how startup entrepreneurs or someone looking to start, grow or reboot their online business can understand how to create specific strategies to build their list, make offers and connect with their best buyers.
We want to help entrepreneurs make a real difference and navigate the messy world of startup or re-launch.
Also, visit https://evolvepreneur.app/podcast/show to grab your free copy of #1 International Best Selling Book "Evolvepreneur Secrets for Entrepreneurs".
Subscribe and get immediate access!
Want to be a guest on the show?